but the living Jesus is the proof of God's love and forgiveness.
- Lorenz Eifert
Searching Souls:
We were created to live lives of rich fulfillment. We're probably not there yet, but we can get closer every day. Many of us are complacent and bored with living a life that glorifies God. Sometimes we don't even realize that our lives can be more satisfying with God.
"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees"
- John Wesley
A Key Element:
The Bible has a lot of references to water. The red sea, the flood, and Jesus washing his disciples feet. Living water is different though. It wells up inside of us when we finally understand that we're not the ones who choose God. It's God who chooses us. God is available to us all the time. The Living Water that is available to us constantly if we'll only come and drink.
"When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.... Do not be afraid, for I am with you."Taking the Plunge:
- Isaiah 43:2-5
To really understand Living Water, you have to understand the One who made you. God is absolutely committed to you. You were created to be connected to and in relationship with God. There's nothing that can't be accomplished through a person who is connected to God. Elton Trueblood said "Faith is Closer to courage than it is to intellectual assent." Like Peter stepping out of the safe boat and onto the stormy seas, we have to step out and start walking towards Christ with our daily lives. Growth will not take place without discomfort, or at the very least without doing something different.
Lifeline
Have you ever needed to cry out for help? Take comfort in the response of Jesus in Matthew 14:31: "Instantly Jesus reached out his hand and grabbed him." Jesus didn't say, "Well I told you not to do that." He didn't say, "I'm busy right now, but I'll get to you when I can." He responded instantly. Jesus was right there, knowing what Peter would need before Peter even knew he'd need it.
Jesus will do the same for you.
dive in
- If I met Jesus at the well, what could he reveal about my life that others may not know?
- Have I ever put Jesus to the test? How did he respond?
- What's my response when Jesus says, "Come."?
1 comment:
"We were created with a thirst to be more than we are and more than the world thinks of us."
I've experienced this so much this week as I continue to seek out who it is God wants me to be and worrying less about who others expect me to be. It's a hard lesson and one that has to be revisited daily.
Post a Comment