Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Great Expectations

What we are is God's gift to us.
What we become is our gift to God.
- Elanor Powell


The Real Deal:
We're to be really committed, and authentic Christians. We don't need to be fakes. When we're committed we're establishing priorities, as in Matthew 6:33. Putting God's Kingdom first will insure that everything else will be okay.

Follow the Leader:
Jesus called Peter and Andrew from their fishing boats and they followed. The left their means to earn a living immediately and followed Christ. When we're invited to follow we just need to take the first step.

A Little Consideration:
God wants to bless us, but he wants to know we're serious. We have to be faithful in the little things, not because we feel like we have to, but because we want to. As Luke 16:10 says, "Unless you are faithful in small matters, you won't be faithful in large ones."

Focus:
We've got to be willing to sacrifice something. Usually that means we choose to please God rather than choosing to please other people. If you can get this nailed down, it'll save you a lot of trouble. When we try to please everyone, we can lose our own sense of what's right and what's not.

Be Deliberate:
Commitment means making a conscious choice about what we're going to believe and who we're going to serve. We need to carefully consider our decision and count the cost. Whom do we serve? Who is the master in our lives?
When we really do put God first we're able to balance out all the rest. When we spend time in God's presence every day we can more clearly distinguish between things that are important and things that are insignificant.


Dive In:
  • On a scale of one to ten, how committed am I to seeing God as the master of my life?
  • What things compete with God to take control in my life?
  • How could making God my top priority change my circumstances?

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

As I think about my week ahead, these questions stand at the forefront of my mind. The things that compete with God to take control of my life are all very good things, but not in comparison to God himself. I very much related to what Mathison was saying about those times when I have felt a pull to draw away from the world to spend time with the Lord and yet rationalized it away because I had too much to do or I was just too tired. If only I would, what a difference it would make!