Monday, October 1, 2007

The need for more

How much money would it take to be really satisfied? Just a little bit more.
- John D. Rockefeller

The Thirst Within: 
We need water, and when we drink anything else our body is just not satisfied. God created us with a thirst that we try to ignore rather than quench. We're not satisfied with the status quo - whether it's our job, our lifestyle, the weather or our health. This dissatisfaction only results in emptiness.


Delusions of Self Sufficiency: 
We need help and are unable to find true joy and fulfillment apart from God. We were created to be in relationship with God. When we run from that Truth we'll always wind up frustrated and empty.


Drink Deeply: 
God has a life for us that is full and refreshing. We are to seek God and devote all of our time, energy and effort into pursuing relationship with God through Christ. Do you turn to God when you have a difficult decision or trial? Do you seek God's presence when you need comfort and peace? That's where abundant life is found. When we're willing to believe that there really is more to this life - and that God is the only One who can provide the way. 


Satisfaction Guaranteed: 
We're going to take a closer look at what it looks like to seek God. We're given a simple promise: If you give God more of yourself, you will get more of God. And when we receive that, our lives and our purpose are fulfilled and made whole.


God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed.
- Saint Augustine


Dive In
  • For what am I thirsty?
  • In what ways do I try to satisfy that thirst?
  • How could God help?

2 comments:

SteveM said...

I am thirsty for God's vision, for understanding God's call on my life and my family.
I am thirsty for seeing my kids grow up doing a better job than me following passionately after Jesus.
I am thirsty for seeing God use Trinity in a revolutionary way to share His love and grace with Ruston and beyond.

After the Andy's sermon this sunday I really question if I am living under my vision which is limited to what I can accomplish, or am I living under God's unlimited vision of what He can accomplish. He used a handful of disciples and Paul to help start a church. He used a stuttering Moses to lead people out of captivity, he used a shepherd boy to bring down a giant... They all lived in a reality bigger than what they could accomplish alone. I want to live under God's vision and plan for my life and not limit what can be accomplished by what I think I am capable of.

I am thirsty for God's vision.

Cynthia said...

I'm thirsty for more of God. Period. I was driving around praying a couple of nights ago and I was brought back to a place in Lexington, a park, that I used to go almost everyday. My favorite time of the year was and still is, Fall. I loved going for long walks on crisp afternoons and reflecting on how God is moving in the seasons, specifically how beauty comes out of those colorful trees dying each year. It's a strange concept, but one that can be applied to my own life as I continue to die to myself. I know without a doubt that rebirth, life, will come again in the Spring. I am thirsty for that life again.