Friday, October 5, 2007

Love Your Neighbor

God has not called us to see through each other,
but to see each other through.
- Author Unknown


What does Love really mean? Jesus told us to do it in John 13:34-35: "So now I am giving you a new commanement: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."
We're told in the beatitudes that: "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand it's own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance."
Do we really love like that?

love in action:
If we'll see the world around us through the eyes of Christ, we will see people as they could be.
We need to see the world through a window and not a mirror. Our focus should be on others and not ourselves.

acceptance and forgiveness:
If we accept the people around us as Christ accepts us "then God will be glorified." (Romans 15:7) Jesus prayed "Father forgbive these people, because they don't know what they're doing." (Luke 23:34) We should imitate Christ and forgive just as freely those who have wronged us. And we shouldn't keep a record of the wrong that we flaunt in others face.

humility and authenticity:
"Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all!" (Romans 12:16) How sad it is when we come across as thinking we're better than others, or that we have all the answers! Sooner or later as it's long been said, "Pride comes before a fall." Sooner or later the one doing the judging will be judged.

dive in:
  • What's my biggest challenge when it comes to loving other people?
  • How could God change that?
  • Is there anyone that I'm holding a grudge against? If so what can I do to turn the situation around?

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Mathison talks about how when we see others as Jesus sees them, we begin to see not just who they are, but who they could be. I am reminded of so many people in my life who see great potential in me, even when I make dumb mistakes, and yet continue to love me through it. That's how I want to be.